WHAT HAVE THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS DONE IN WILTSHIRE?
- We demanded that Wiltshire Council recognise the climate emergency and commit to netzero by 2030.
- With local residents, we led the fight to save Wiltshire’s outdoor education centres, Braeside and Oxenwood.
- We campaigned for the scrapping of Sunday car parking charges.
- We are supporting the campaign to keep special schools in Chippenham and Trowbridge.
AND EVERYTHING ELSE...
Beyond this, Wiltshire Liberal Democrats have acted on casework, engaged with businesses and community groups, have taken part in litter picks and so much more.
IN THE WAY THE COUNCIL IS RUN, WE WILL:
- Give communities and their representatives more say in decisions;
- Create four assemblies of area boards to bring decision-making closer to communities;
- We will seek to abandon centralised ‘cabinet’ governance.
- Seek to establish a charter for equality and diversity, setting out our commitment and support for all groups, cultures and needs.
ON THE ENVIRONMENT, WE WILL:
- Promote low carbon energy.
- Fit solar power at all council-owned property.
- Invest in a tree planting scheme.
- Install air quality monitors for industry and traffic.
- Work towards zero carbon status for all new developments.
ON PLANNING, WE WILL:
- We will focus on building sustainable communities rather than housing estates, with schools, shops, transport links and open spaces.
- We’ll look for opportunities to create entirely new village communities on open land, avoiding overloading existing towns.
- We’ll expand the council’s housing investment through its Stone Circle company.
IN CARE, WE WILL:
- We will pilot an ‘acting early’ programme for under-5s, to make sure they all have the best possible start in life.
- We will expand the Shared Lives programme that enables people who need care to live as part of a family.
- We’ll investigate setting up an in-house home care service with skilled community nurses.
IN EDUCATION AND YOUTH SERVICES, WE WILL:
- We will work to narrow the gap in opportunity between the pupils with the most advantages and those with the fewest.
- We will review special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) education to ensure that needs are met as close to home as possible.
- We will rebuild youth services in partnership with voluntary groups.
IN TRANSPORT, WE WILL:
- We will work with bus operators to make more routes viable and ensure all areas have a zero-carbon service.
- We want to reopen key railway stations: Wilton, Porton, Devizes and Corsham; and open new stations such as Royal Wootton Bassett and Hullavington.
- We will work to make roads safer, with a better response on potholes and repairs.
IN POLICING, WE WILL:
- We will introduce community safety forums to exchange information and work closely with the police.
- We will take a collaborative approach to tackle County Lines drug dealing and child exploitation.
- We will institute a county wide DNA database for livestock and work with Wiltshire Police to ensure that pet theft is taken seriously.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP US WIN THIS YEAR
Read the Full Manifesto